Thursday, March 25, 2010

Beyond Time for a Resolution Update!

Wow. When I originally wrote my post about New Year's Resolutions (see here), I had some lofty ideas about posting (often!!) regarding my status and how things on each resolution were progressing.

So much for that wonderful idea! But, here I am posting, if not often, with a status update. I felt it important to post now because I've finally had some identifiable changes! I've listed the original resolutions to remind you (and me...) of where this lovely journey started:

Jesse's Official 2010 New Year's Resolutions
Train for and complete a half-marathon
The "training" portion of this resolution is officially complete. I just ran my last "training" run for my first half-marathon! The race itself takes place this Saturday. I am nervous/anxious/excited/almost-relieved to be running. The training portion has been a little bit of a rough road with some unexpected bumps, but not nearly as difficult as I thought it would be. I am hoping that the race experience is very similar. So far, I would say that there is a pretty good chance that I'd run another half-marathon someday. But my favorite development, by far, of this resolution has been the connections I've been able to make because of this goal! Just recently, I have found two other people who are also running their first half-marathon this year. I also found another person who has run several and will be running another in just a few weeks. All of these discoveries were made during my American Sign Language class. It's given the four of us a fun conversation topic - now that we know how to talk about running. :)
Work on technologically "un-tethering" myself
So, take the satisfaction and happiness with the half-marathon goal...this goal is the exact opposite! Well, maybe not the exact opposite. I have been more successful with ignoring my phone. That was my true intention behind this resolution, though I had other, less-altruistic intentions as well. Those haven't been quite so successful - though maybe I should take that as a sign to be a little less self-involved. Off tangent, back on track. So, while I have been better at detaching myself from my cell phone, I still feel a huge hole in my soul where my Blackberry used to live. It's very likely that I'll be replacing my current POS cell phone with a Blackberry or some other SmartPhone at some point in the near future. But, hopefully, I will have learned to leave it alone sometimes.

Have new neighbors moving in soon (I think)...be nice and neighborly to them
I do have new neighbors. I'm not exactly sure what I think of them yet, as they've only been in residence for about two weeks. But, I forced myself to extend a welcome. I made two loaves of bread last night: 1 for my house (been out for a while...) and 1 for their house. When I went over to their side to take them my offering, they didn't answer the door. Still, in my desire to complete my mission, I left the bread and a nice note by the door. I really hope they don't think I'm weird and/or trying to poison them. I'm NOT trying to poison you and I really save my weirdness for the people who are really close to me - Promise! I found it to be a good sign that the bread and note were no longer outside the door this morning. So, someone is getting some good out of it.
CHILLAX...stop stressing so much
Gah. Is it too late to take this one back??? The only times I seem to be able to enjoy any success with this goal is when I have a drink (or ten) in my hand. Maybe that's the way it's supposed to be??? Maybe I should be on Prozac???
So, all in all, I am seeing some small changes in the way I run my life. Of course, if I were to set my New Year's Resolutions today, they might be a little different. But I am pretty happy with what I've achieved because of the current Resolutions in place!

No comments: