That's right. It was finally revealed to me, in a celestial dream, the reason why I am not now, nor will I ever be, the President of the United States (hereon referred to as POTUS). It takes a bit for me to drill down on my reasoning, so please be patient and hang with me...
It all started with me critically thinking about Group Work. As a bit of an introvert (and NO, that's not the reason why I'm not POTUS), I never really have been a fan of Group Work. I suppose that I used to like it when I was in high school and you were allowed to pick all your Besties as groupmates. But, as a college student, I detest Group Work. For one, even in situations where I can pick my group, I don't have any Besties in any college courses! But, more than that...I have found that I work much better alone. I know all that drivel about how you're supposed to work in groups so that you can better learn how it is to work in a work atmosphere with other employees. Yeah, yeah - whatev. When you are paying me, I'll do your Group Work. When I'm paying you, I just want to get'r done!
Sadly enough, I have three courses this semester where Group Work is required. Tonight's class was just one of these. This group had an opportunity to meet tonight to discuss our project and make some plans. First off, I was quite, quite impressed with my groupmates. Even though we hadn't all put forth 150% (although, one guy did and it was awesome), we all were intelligent enough to contribute to the discussion. Second, I was sure impressed with myself!
I made some (I felt) astute observations and some good contributions to our conversation. Furthermore, me and my organized-self took charge and decided to be the Group Mom. Honestly, if I'm not the Group Mom, then the person who takes this position ends up driving me bonkers. I realized this regarding one of the other groups.
Later, after my class and mothering were finished, I was ruminating a bit. I did a little attitude adjustment regarding my thoughts on Group Work. But, I also took note of my confidence level during tonight's discussion.
It's not out of the ordinary - or not anymore, shall we say. But, I do remember times, when I was younger (high school age and younger...especially those younger times) when my introverted-ness completely took over. Confident was not my strong suit. Honestly, who did have a strong, confident suit when they were 13? If someone says yes, they're lying. Or their confidence was completely inflated by peer opinion.
Not that my peer's opinions don't contribute to my confidence level. I have some great, great friends who aren't afraid to tell me that I AM AWESOME. And, let's not forget my sweet Mother who just can't say enough good things about me. But...I think that I am finally in a place where I am truly confident on my own.
The POTUS thing? Well, I realized that if I had been this confident when I was 13, I would have been well on my way to a place in politics. Most likely, I would be a state senator now and running for President in the election after next. The people who were confident when they were 13? Their names are...Hillary Rodham Clinton...Barack Obama... ... ... George W. Bush... ...Bill Clinton...
I'm glad I am where I am though. I don't really want to be POTUS. I mean, do you think that Barack Obama has any idea that there was an episode of Cougar Town, aired last season, paying homage to Top Gun? If you get right down to it, I barely have time to Netflix that darn show and watch it, even a season behind. And I, as we've already established, am not running the world.
Thursday, September 9, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment