Friday, September 18, 2009

Emoting

I just realized something. My emotions of frustration and anger are a little like tar. This is a fairly unfortunate realization given the fact that lately I've driven myself to frustration or anger more often than normal. When you get right down to it, I might as well be paving a road with all this tar I'm producing.

Who remembers that story about Brer Rabbit & the Tar Baby?? Maybe it's just me. We read the Uncle Remus stories about Brer Rabbit, Brer Fox and Brer Bear a lot when I was younger. The story of Brer Rabbit & the Tar Baby illustrates best what I mean about my frustration being a lot like tar. In a nutshell, Brer Fox and Brer Bear make a Tar Baby (doll made of tar) in order to trick Brer Rabbit. Cleverly enough, their trick works out just like they planned. Brer Rabbit greets the Tar Baby. After trying and trying without getting a response, Brer Rabbit socks the Tar Baby in the face. Being that this particular Tar Baby is made of...oh...tar, Brer Rabbit gets stuck. And the harder he fights it, the more stuck he gets.

And that's really what I mean when I say my frustration is like tar. It seems like whenever a small thing happens to frustrate me (which happens far too regularly for my liking), I fight it and fight it and end up getting myself more involved and more frustrated than I should be.

I've spent the last few months trying to come up with some better solutions. I'm pretty close to researching the "Woo-zah" method, as seen in Bad Boys II. In fact, I've made a small step in that direction by pulling on my earlobes whenever I get frustrated. Pretty soon, I'll belong in National Geographic, with earlobes down to my ribcage.

This post doesn't really have a point - except that I'm wondering if this might be a good outlet for my frustration. Maybe in writing about my personal Tar Baby, it will cease to be! Wouldn't that be AWESOME? In the meantime, I am pulling on my earlobes and playing racquetball.

**Author's note: I do know that it's Friday. I also know it's not very nice for me to post such a downer blog at the beginning of a weekend. I figure I might as well do this blog as a detox of sorts so I can start my weekend off nicely. I promise to complete the weekend with a much more uplifting and probably lighter weight blog. Please come back and visit!!

No comments: